Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pascagoula's Critter




Recently, I discovered that in 2007, the late Mac Tonnies, author of The Cryptoterrestrials: A Meditation on Indigenous Humanoids and Aliens Among Us, (NY: Anomalist Books, 2010) wrote this: "A friend who's been sight-seeing in New York recently happened across a most unusual figurine in a toy store. After dropping me an excited message on my answering machine, he emailed me this photo:"


The carrot-colored apparition is none other than the "wrinkled robot" described by Charles Hickson and Calvin Parker, who claimed to have been abducted by apparent alien creatures in Pascagoula, Mississippi in 1973. Needless to say, you don't see too many of these on toy shelves.... 
At the time, I was wondering, had anyone seen this unique collectible artifact of our popular Fortean culture, as expressed in this "wrinkled robot" item. I found one, and it is now a member of the International Cryptozoology Museum, not because it is a cryptid, but because it is not. It is in the developing "Fortean corner." 
Readers Allegretto Kassidy and Chris Savia had informed me this is art ("Project After Dark") by Michael Lau.  
The person who had seen this was Mike Clelland, and this photo above, is via Mac Tonnies, originally from Mike Clelland.


No comments: